Career Development Plan
Determine the specific position/industry you are targeting. Establish for yourself both a primary and a secondary career goal.
Determine geographic boundaries for your career search
Set weekly goals for yourself and your career search and start now. Make sure you:
- Directly contact a minimum of 1 to 2 employers per week who are listed on your career target list
- Attend events hosted by local chapters of professional organizations
Research your market
Prepare your resume & cover letter - OptimalResume
Develop your career development plan
Network. With everyone. Let them know what you're interested in. Ask if they know of anyone you should be talking to. As only 20% of jobs are ever advertised, networking is crucial to finding those unadvertised jobs.
Develop a Self-Marketing Strategy:
- Product - what do you have to offer?
- Price - what is your value in the marketplace?
- Promotion - what is your "elevator pitch"?
- Place (distribution) - how are you going to market yourself?
- Positioning - what differentiates you from other candidates?
Conduct informational interviews
Work on your interviewing skills
Practice your salary negotiation skills
Apply to job postings
Directly approach companies:
- Re-contact any organizations who interviewed you previously as they may now have an opportunity ideal for someone with your skills set
- Offer to work on a contract basis, so they can "try you out". A contract position can develop into a permanent offer!
Follow up with everyone you contact:
- Keep detailed notes to ensure you follow-up in a timely manner
- Remember to thank anyone who assists you with any aspect of your job search