The Labour-Management Relations Certificate Program
|Labour-Management Relations Certificate Program (Saskatoon, SK)|
Sept 20, 2015 to Sept 25, 2015
|Location : K W Nasser Centre (256 - 3rd Avenue South)|
Now taking registrations for 2015. Please see brochure and registration form below.
Introduction & Background:
The Labour-Management Relations program offered by the Edwards School of Business and the Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy is an intensive 5-day program intended for labour leaders, human resource managers, and labour relations officers.
Modules on collective bargaining, mediation, the legal framework, and arbitration, among others, will deliver immediately useful skills and knowledge. Each module incorporates active learning through group discussions or role playing and includes arbitration and collective bargaining simulations. Instructors are drawn from leading practitioners and academics from western Canada.
*Receive 37 recertification points towards your Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designation!
"This was an intense learning environment that encouraged me to think from the other sides' point of view and helped me to develop valuable negotiation skills." - Marlena Klassen, BHP Billiton
A program which is practical, while also being informed with academic expertise, the LMR program addresses the major issues surrounding collective bargaining, grievance arbitration, mediation, legislation, and labour board remedies. In addition to providing bargaining simulation experience and practical tools, the content of this program moves beyond labour-management relations to examine topics from broad political and economic contexts. This program offers a rare opportunity for union, management, and neutrals to come together in a safe learning environment to trade perspectives, share ideas, and use a collaborative approach to generate solutions that add value for all parties.
*A Labour-Management Relations Certificate is awarded to each participant who completes the program.
Who Should Attend?
This program is designed for union leaders, human resource managers, labour relations managers, neutrals, consultants, and lawyers with an interest in labour relations.
Key Learning Outcomes:
By the end of this program, you will be positioned to:
- Improve labour-management relationships in your organization/industry
- Effectively prepare for collective bargaining
- Navigate grievance mediation and investigations
- Gain access to experts and leaders in the labour relations field
- Utilize newly-built professional relationships to strengthen your network
- Navigate labour law and relevant legal issues
"I thoroughly enjoyed the whole program. The material provided is very good and I now have another venue of information. All of the instructors and staff were very approachable and open to questions and feedback." - Patricia Taillon, SGEU
Top Caliber Instructors:
Our program instructors are top academics from the University of Saskatchewan in the areas of Industrial Relations and Human Resources including the Dean of the Edwards School of Business. We also have one of Canada's most respected arbitrators joining us, Allen Ponak. In addition to our well-qualified instructors, industry expert guest speakers will discuss special topics and contribute a balanced perspective.
Venue and Accommodations:
The Labour-Management Relations Certificate Program will take place at the Edwards School of Business K W Nasser Centre, located in beautiful downtown Saskatoon just steps away from the South Saskatchewan River.
Participants will stay in the Radisson’s Hotel Saskatoon comfortable and recently renovated guest rooms.
Fundamentals of Labour Relations
Changing Employment Relationship
Collective Agreement Arbitration
"The new materials and perspectives from the instructors and guest lecturers were first-rate and will be helpful in real-life situations." - Richard Julien, University of Saskatchewan
Class of 2014:
$5,000 + GST
- This fee includes instruction, all program materials, hotel accommodations and meals.
- Joint pricing available for enrolling Union and Management representatives together.
- Fees, dates and speakers are subject to change. Edwards liability is limited to reimbursement of paid tuition fees. One transfer is permitted.
- Cancellations received in writing at least 21 days in advance of the program start date will receive a full refund. Cancellations received less than 21 days prior to the program start date will be subject to a $1,000 administration fee. Non-attendance will incur full program tuition cost.