Dr. Dev Mishra received his Ph.D. in Finance from the University of Connecticut , MBA (Finance) from Kelly School of Business at Indiana University - Bloomington, MBA (Marketing) from Tribhuvan University - Kathmandu. Dr. Mishra teaches International Finance and Corporate Finance. Prior to joining the University of Saskatchewan, Dr. Mishra was a faculty member at Memorial University of Newfoundland, and Tribhuvan University - Kathmandu, Nepal.
Dr. Mishra’s research interests are primarily in corporate finance and international corporate finance. His research has been published in both academic and practitioner journals, such as Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Corporate Finance, Financial Management, Journal of Banking and Finance, The Financial Review, Journal of Business Ethics, Quarterly Journal of Business and Economics, Journal of Applied Finance, International Review of Finance, Corporate Governance: An International Review, Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, Emerging Markets Review,International Review of Economics and Finance, and Journal of Economics and Finance. In addition, he presented over five dozen referred conference papers, discussed several conference papers, and chaired several conference sessions. Dr. Mishra has been very active in the academic circle, have worked in the program committee in different capacity of the conferences like, Financial Management Association, Academy of International Business, Financial Management Association European meeting, Eastern Finance Association, Northern Finance Association, and Management Futures Conference. He is also a recipient of the Best International Paper award at Eastern Finance Association (2007), Finalist for the Temple/AIB Best Paper Award (2007). He is also the recipient of the Dean’s Award for Outstanding Research Achievement in 2012 at the Edwards School of Business and a winner of the 2011 Moskowitz Prize for Socially Responsible Investing (SRI) awarded by the Center for Responsible Business at Hass School of Business, University of California Berkeley.
Dr. Mishra's current research is best described by these key words: corporate finance, corporate governance, corporate social responsibility, ownership structures, CEO Ability, mergers & acquisitions, implied cost of capital, corporate innovations, corporate risk taking and international corporate finance. Dr. Mishra holds membership in professional organizations, like Financial Management Association, American Finance Association, American Accounting Association, Academy of International Business, Northern Finance Association, Eastern Finance Association, and Management Association of Nepal.
Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.ca/citations?user=IrjLsegAAAAJ
MBA 851: International Finance
Comm 466: International Business Finance
Comm 363: Corporate Finance
Comm 203: Introductory Corporate Finance
Hegde, S. and D. Mishra, 2016. Marriage and Manager's Attitude to Corporate Social Responsibility, Working paper
Boubakri, N., J-C. Cosset, O. Guedhami, D. Mishra, Determinants Corporate Transparency and Cost of Equity Capital (work-in progress.)
Mishra, D. & C. Zhou. Large Shareholders and Bidder Returns: International Evidence, Working Paper
Hegde, S. & D. Mishra, 2016. Do Patented Innovations Affect Cost of Equity Capital?
Mishra, D. & T. O' Brien, 2013. Implied Expected Return and the Cost of Equity: The CAPM versus the Three-Factor Model
Aggarwal, R., D. Mishra, and C. Wilson, 2015. Are Prophets Myopic? Evidence from Analyst Recommendations and Implied Cost of Equity.
22. Hegde, S. & D. Mishra, 2017. Strategic Risk-Taking and Value Creation: Evidence from the Market for Corporate Control. International Review of Economics & Finance 48, 212–234.
21. Boubakri, N., J-C. Cosset, & D. Mishra, 2016. Large Shareholders and Target Returns: International Evidence, Advances in Financial Economics (Accepted)
20. Mishra, D., 2017. Post-Innovation CSR Performance and Firm Value, Journal of Business Ethics 140, 285–306.
19. Mishra, D., 2014. The Dark Side of CEO Ability: CEO General Managerial Skills and Cost of Equity Capital. Journal of Corporate Finance 29, 390-409.
Featured in CFA Digest (Vol 45, Issue 5, May 2015): http://www.cfapubs.org/doi/full/10.2469/dig.v45.n5.7
18. Bardos, K. & D. Mishra, 2014. Financial Restatements, Litigation, and Implied Cost of Equity. Applied Financial Economics 24 (1), 51-71.
17. Mamun, A., & D. Mishra, 2012. Industry Merger Intensity and Cost of Capital. International Review of Finance, Forthcoming
16. Boubakri, N., O. Guedhami, D. Mishra, & W. Saffar, 2012. Political Connections and Cost of Equity Capital. Journal of Corporate Finance 18, 541–559.
15. Dolde, W., C. Giaccotto, D. Mishra, & T. O'Brien, 2012. Should Managers Estimate Cost of Equity Using a Two-Factor International CAPM?, Managerial Finance 38, 708-728.
14. Mishra, D., 2011. Multiple Large Shareholders and Corporate Risk Taking: Evidence from East Asia. Corporate Governance: An International Review 19, 507-528.
13. El Ghoul, S., O. Guedhami, C. Kwok, & D. Mishra, 2011. Does Corporate Social Responsibility Affect the Cost of Capital? Journal of Banking and Finance 35, 2388-2408.
Moskowitz Prize for Socially Responsible Investing(http://responsiblebusiness.haas.berkeley.edu/programs/moskowitzresearchprogram.html)
12. Dolde, W., C. Giaccotto, D. Mishra, & T. O'Brien, 2011. Foreign Exchange Exposure and Cost of Equity for U.S. Companies: Local versus Global CAPM. Journal of Applied Finance 21, 78-86.
11. Mishra, D., M. Racine, & L. Schmidt, 2011. Credibility of Corporate Announcements and Market Reaction. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences 28, 73-90.
9. Mishra, D. & G. Tannous, 2010. Securities Laws in the Host Countries and the Capital Structure of US Multinationals. International Review of Economics and Finance 19, 483-500.
8. Komlenovic, S., A. Mamun, & D. Mishra, 2011. Business Cycle and Aggregate Merger Activity, Journal of Economics and Finance 35, 239-259.
Nominating Committee, EFA (2010)
Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Banking & Finance, Financial Management, Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, The Financial Review, OMEGA, Journal of Financial Research, Journal of Business Research, Pacific Basin Finance Journal, Corporate Governance: An International Review, Journal of Applied Finance, Journal of Business Ethics, European Journal of Finance, European Financial Management, Managerial Finance, International Journal of Managerial Finance, Review of Financial Economics, International Review of Economics and Finance, International Review of Financial Analysis
Conference Involvement (Program/Track Chair or Committee or Reviewing):
Academy of International Business, Eastern Finance Association, Management Futures Conference, Northern Finance Association, Financial Management Association International, Financial Management Association -European, ASAC, Paris Financial Management Conference
Grants and Awards
2011- 2015: Governance Transfer and Corporate Risk Taking: Evidence from U.S. and International Mergers$68,261, Social Sciences Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), with N. Boubakri and J.-C. Cosset. (Principal Investigator)
2008 to 2011: The Political Economy of Transparency, Corporate Governance, and Cost of Capital: International Evidence, $92,000, Social Sciences Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), with N. Boubakri, J.-C. Cosset, O. Guedhami. (Co-investigator 2008-09, Managed Grant Fund 2009-2011).
Best Research Awards:
Recipient of the (inaugural) Dean’s Award for Outstanding Research Achievement in 2012
Recipient of the “Research in International Business and Finance Prize” (jointly with N. Boubakri and J-C. Cosset) at the Academy of International Business – UK & Ireland Chapter Annual Conference 2012.
Moskowitz Prize for Socially Responsible Investing 2011 (Jointly with S. El Ghoul, O. Guedhami, C. Kwok (http://responsiblebusiness.haas.berkeley.edu/programs/moskowitzresearchprogram.html)